Do I Owe Enough to File For Bankruptcy?


When I was a kid my Grandad used to tell me that if I ate my Lima Beans (Yuck!) they would put hair on my chest! I believed that myth, after all, my Grandad was a good source of information and he could bend a spoon just by looking at it! As you get older though, you learn that if you rely on unchecked myths you can really take a beating in life.

Many of my Orlando bankruptcy clients share a common question, borne out of a pervading myth, when they come in for their free evaluation with me at our first meeting. That is "Do I Have Enough Debt to Qualify for Bankruptcy?"

Personal Bankruptcy Lawyer, Bankruptcy Attorney Ventura, North Carolina Bankruptcy Lawyer,

In a recent blog by Douglas Jacobs, a California bankruptcy lawyer, the question of Do I qualify to File for Bankruptcy?" is answered with a simple "Yes". I agree, just about anyone will qualify to file for some type of bankruptcy. I think the better question is "should I file for bankruptcy?" and that can only be answered after a bankruptcy lawyer evaluates your overall financial situation.

While there are restrictions on how much debt a person can be liable for and file for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, there are no such restrictions in Chapter 7 filings. This means, if you are filing for Chapter 7, how much or how little you may owe to your creditors is not a relevant factor used in determining whether you qualify to file for Chapter 7.

As an Orlando bankruptcy lawyer, I know first hand that the Chapter 13 Trustee in Orlando looks very closely at whether Debtors exceed the debt limitations of Chapter 13 and will file a Motion to Dismiss the case if the debt limits are exceeded. Specifically, if you owe more than $360,475 in unsecured debt (think credit cards, medical bills, signature loans)t or more than $1,081,400 in secured debt (think home loans and car loans), you could face a motion to dismiss in Orlando.

While I'm not real sure of the origin of a lot of bankruptcy myths, tons of them exist and the one about having to owe a certain amount of money to qualify for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy ranks pretty high on the list of common bankruptcy myths I hear everyday as an Orlando bankruptcy lawyer. Now that you know that you probably do qualify to file for some type of bankruptcy, hopefully, when we meet, I can dispel this, and some other myths you may have heard about filing for bankruptcy.


Chapter 13 Bankruptcy

Is Bankruptcy Right For You? Talk to Bankruptcy Attorneys Free and Confidential. Licensed bankruptcy attorneys are available. Attorneys will call you to discuss your case for free. Find out if bankruptcy is right for your situation.

Rating of Chapter 13 Bankruptcy



Get Online Application at online Bankruptcy Lawyer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment